<VV> "Points" to ponder - Pertronix Issues

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Thu Oct 27 22:59:34 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/27/2005 6:07:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  JVHRoberts
writes:

There's another HUGE advantage. Electronic ignitions can belt out a LOT  more
ignition energy without worrying about frying points, and all the other
problems associated with breaker point ignition.
Also, most electronic ignitions run constant dwell time, meaning you get
perfect or near perfect coil saturation at all engine speeds. And then you can
design for VERY fast rise times, etc.
When I did my first HEI conversion on my 65 turbo, I NEVER had misfires,
point float, and all the other headaches and inadequacies of the stock  ignition
EVER AGAIN. In fact, the thing packed so much energy, you could  actually hear
the ignition firing in the engine compartment at idle. I suspect  the sound
came from the open core coil assembly and from inside the cap, from  the rotor
to cap terminal discharge. Never heard that sound from a breaker  point
ignition!
And wow, for the first time, I had a nearly maintenance free ignition,
whereas before I was changing plugs monthly to keep the thing from  misfiring...
Oy...

In a message dated 10/27/2005 10:53:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,