contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 30 20:51:44 EST 2005
I have my own archive of vv posts that I think are interesting or
contained advise that seemed likely that I would use some day. Tonight
I began to try to de-flash my heads. I picked up on this method and
was lucky enough to have my mentor to lend me his bit.
The advise is from a regular vv contributor and is as follows on p. 67:
I like to use some power tools to do this (de-flashing). I use an
(sic) 1/8-inch by 6 inch "jobbers drill bit" to do that. . . . The 1/8
inch long drill bit works best, since it not only assures the air flow
width is at least 1/8 inch; it also tends to remove some of the
interfering side walls of the cylinder fins that is caused by the
castings not being precisely aligned for maximum air flow.
Well, when I started, I noticed that the 1/8" bit was snug to say the
least. When it drilled out the first bit of flashing, I noticed that
it was also taking away some of the fin wall and creating upper and
lower groves in the fins. It also appeared to get dangerously close
(eyeballing) to wearing away the top of what appears to me to be the
chamber for the fuel/air mixture (where luck would have me to start).
I was a bit ashen at this point and stopped to await further guidance
even though the previous advise says not to worry about this and in
fact using this size bit makes the heads closer to factory specs. BTW
my bit is 12" long.
Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (block together, pistons and
cylinders assembled and mounted)
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, zero rust, PG, A/C,
original AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper
guards, w/ 77K (and continuing to hold)
(Still in group red, light at the end of the tunnel : I
More information about the VirtualVairs