<VV> Headlight switch differences

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Mon Oct 31 20:37:50 EST 2005

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I chatted offline with a friend who has a couple
of NOS headlight switches with different numbers on the boxes. It is now
clear that one can identify most, if not all, of them by looking for a
number stamped in the top of the switch. The number is three digits and
corresponds to the last three digits of the part number. The surface
containing the number is the same one that has the knob release button
protruding from it.

It is also clear that, at some point, Chevy decided to combine the '64 - '69
switches into one part. Whatever design intent was present in having two
switches was discarded. Very odd--considering the cost of designing them in
the first place! My money is on what Craig said--something to do with the
number of lights in the circuit, especially since there appears to have been
a different switch originally for '68 and '69 Corvairs--which corresponds to
the side marker lights being present.

--Kent