RE <VV> Katrina

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 01:29:25 EDT 2005

I don't know how many Corvairs there were in
Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana gulf locations, but
it's a fair bet they are now history unless extremely
well protected (read that, bank vault).

I am a former FEMA Officer and I've worked disasters
all up and down the gulf and atlantic coast, but
believe me, there has never been on of the scope of
Katrina.

Fact is, this disaster may well outstrip the agency's
ability to cope. It is more on the scale of a major
military operation.

The stories you are seeing on TV are just the tip of
the iceberg (Example: all the TV folks have declined
to shoot video of bodies floating or of caskets tied
to trees.) These are things that happen even in
'small' disasters, they are happening on a gargantuan
scale in this one.

The disruption of the oil supply will be felt across
the country, not just in sky high gas prices, but in
rationed heating oil this winter. With the double hit
of Katrinia and the war in Iraq our taxes will go up.
And, the markets will go down. Unpleastant pictures to
be sure.

I'm sure we all have that urge to go there and put our
skills to work helping the less fortunate. Don't do
it. Every new body has to be fed, flushed, gassed,
thus putting an additional strain on an already
overtaxed infrastructure. Tasteless though it may be,
sending money if you are so inclined, is the best way.

When my phone rings with a plea that I return to the
agency, as happened during Sept. 11, I indend to
respectfully decline. Even with my background and
training they don't need another grumpy old man on the
front lines.

This is the kind of inside dope you only get on
Virtual Vairs and only occasionally on National Public
Radio.

Arjay Morgan
64 Monza convert