<VV> Re: starting smoke

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Thu Sep 1 12:46:54 EDT 2005

> Well . . . let's see. If I park my car with a "list" (tilt to left or right)
> and then start it up after a few hours, I get a lot of smoke that I
> attribute to oil in the combustion chambers (on the downhill side).
> How did/does the oil get into the combustion chambers? Or is it not oil
> in the combustion chambers?

First I'd think about how high the oil is on the dipstick after a 5 qt oil change, and how high it is right now.
Then I'd check my crankcase ventilation system.  I have an old gauge, but I've heard Cellophane across the oil filler while the engine is running will indicate pressure (bad) versus vacuum (good).   Maybe unscrew the cap before shutting 'er down in the parking spot?