<VV> 1969 Positive cable fusable link question

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Sep 1 13:08:29 EDT 2005

Nice subject line!  Yes, you can use a fuse. I would get a  "MAXI-FUSE" from
NAPA.  They sell both the fuse and the holder, which will  set you back about
$20 for the pair.  The fuses are the giant, mutant  versions of the colorful
ATO fuses that are in modern fuse blocks and they come  in fuse ratings between
20 and 80 amps.  I'd suggest the 50 amp  variety.  Run a 10 ga wire from the
battery to the Maxi-fuse block and  another from the Maxi-fuse block to the
LPRT.  Obviously, you'll want to  put well-crimped loop terminals at the ends of
all these wires.  The  Maxi-fuse block has a tab that you can attach to about
anything.
Block: 782-7771
Fuse: 782-2103 or 782-1085 (50 amp)

The problem with the in-line fuse approach that you allude to is that  both
Glass and ATO fuses are limited to 35 amps, which doesn't provide enough
margin.
Craig Nicol.

BTW, you can also buy fusible link "by the foot" from NAPA.

Wow, I can't get much more specific than that.
I'm trying to figure  out if I can install a fuse and run a hard wire from
the
positive clamp to  the HPRT on the rail... the fusable link did it's job, and
is now crumbly  black ash... if I run a wire and fuse, what amp should I use?
think it is  supposed to be a section of 12 GA fusable link, but I haven't
had
any luck  finding a section long enough...
Any help is  appreciated.
Later,