<VV> Engine lift.

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Thu Sep 1 18:16:35 EDT 2005

Scott did a wonderful job.  After using an ATV lift for several years, I agree that a tilting table from front to back is desirable.  I get by using an tranny jack in addition to the ATV lift, but it is a little bit slower that way.  There are a couple of suggestions I would make for Scott's idea:
1. Make it totally out of metal, since the wood tends to get torn up, pretty fast and gets pretty well oiled.  OTOH, metal can scratch any paint or aluminum.
2. Lower it an inch or more from Scott's design.  That final inch makes a big difference in how far you need to lift the body to clear the carbs or turbo.  When lowering it, you still need to take into consideration the extra deep oil pans.
3. Have side rails that mate with the pan at the block and eliminate the cross member at the front, or lower it.  This is because, once you have the engine with bell housing on the ATV lift, it is difficult to pull off the diff forward without lifting the engine off the cradle.  By reducing the height of the front cross member to clear the bell housing, that would make that a non-issue.  If the side rails are sturdy enough, it might not be necessary to have a front cross member at all.
4. Bolt upward into the rear threaded hole in the skid plate to secure the engine.  This would make a huge improvement.  Chet Reed of Corvair Center.com uses a tilting tranny jack and gets by just using a flat plate and a hole in it to secure the engine bottom to or a flat plate with spacer for deep oil pans.  By having the engine bolted on, it is that much more secure and it would enable making the long supports front-to-back more narrow without sacrifiicing stability when running the engine.  It would require the engine having a rear skid plate, but that should not be a problem to bolt onto any engine quickly.

-- Larry