<VV> reserve oil - didnt lisen? - no corvair in case you couldnt guess

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Sep 2 09:53:18 EDT 2005

>any maybe the gulf waters would not be so HOT, so the hurricane would no
>have been so destructive, don't forget the worst of the storm missed new
>orleans!

Great storms come in cycles and we have just been through a long quiet
period. If you think Katrina was bad, look at the one that hit Galveston in
1900 or the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 that wiped out most of the Florida
keys (one weather station recorded over 200 mph winds before the station
was carried away).

If anything all of the a/cs in Florida are creating an artificial high
pressure over the state that deflects hurricanes which do not head straight
for the coast. As valid a theory as any other. NOLA is just at the end of a
funnel.

There are just too many variables. I try to follow tropical atlantic
surface isothermsm, the 27.5 degrees C line, and the jetstream but these
are just gross affectors.

Better to blame those who cut the funding for the strengthening of the
levee that failed.

However Bad Things Happen. The difference between now and back then is twofold:
1) A lot more people buying/building houses where they shouldn't
2) Instant communications to let us know what is happening.

Is one reason why even though a Floridian since 1957, I prefer to live 80
miles from the nearest coast.

Still you pick up the pieces, rebuild, and life goes on. Suspect Texas and
other neighboring states will have a few more permanent residents.

However is good that the Corvair I bought in Maryland is now in my garage,
transportation may get difficult/expen$ive for a while.

Padgett