<VV> Perfect race car

Levair at aol.com Levair at aol.com
Fri Sep 2 23:51:45 EDT 2005

All,
They say that the perfect race car is one that crosses the finsh line runing
great and then blows up---sort of like Michael's in Iowa.
  My story is not that dramatic but still follows the rule.
I checked the compression on the Thomas/Roe car today. The number 4 and 3
cylinders are about 50 psi compared to the rest that are around 110 psi. Yes the
plugs are oily.
 I'm not complaining. I used a one race old short block and installed new 7/1
(high squish)  comp-ratio  140 hp cylinder heads. . I had new Ross forged
pistons waiting on the shelf. I knew that high boost turbos and trw pistons are
not a good combination.
   After solving many, many problems at local autocrosses this Spring, the
car was quite trouble free and fast during the major Corvair events. Our record
is four FTDs out of 5 events.  What a great variety----Portland International
Raceway, Beaverun Raceway , Marshalltown Kart track, Blackhawk Downs, 1/4 and
1/2 mile ovals and the Portland autocross. I believe that Bill and Doug would
have been proud. This was the last of the events for this car anyway.
   The car smoked after the timed runs at Beaverun and was slightly slower on
each run. I found out later that the water injection  was not working
properly because the check valve in  the water pressure line was frozen closed. The
small details will get you every time.
   I will freshen the engine for whatever comes next--nothing planned, and
may make some modern improvements for durability. I tried to run it exactly like
it was run in the sixties. That's done. I have two intercoolers on the shelf.
Next move?
   I haven't autocrossed locally since April. I was looking at the schedules
and realized that I can't afford to go to any.
    When Sharon and I planned our summer of 2005 trips, we realized that this
might be a last chance blow out and we may not ever get to do it again. We
were so right!. We can't afford the gas to go anywhere now.
   I cleaned up the track Stinger and the autocross roadster. They hadn't
been started in a full year. My how time flies.
   Michael and I hope to be at Putnam Park Oct 2  for a track day with our
Stingers, then It's over for the year.
  We might barely be able to drive our stock Fieros to some local event.
A great year; too soon over,
Warren