<VV> Whump, whump, whump

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 4 13:04:21 EDT 2005

This one is mega-obvious if you see it, but since it
happened to me I'll put it into the mix of causes.
I investigated an occasional clunk when it got more
frequent on my '68.  Since I got it from the tranny
end of the axle, I ordered new U-joints. When I went
to change them, I found about half of the inner curve
of the yolk worn back far enough to cut into about a
third of the retainer strap's bolt threads. The strap
was worn to the point that only about half of the area
around the bolt hole was still there. I don't remember
much wear to the U-joint itself. It looked like
someone had removed the axle, remounted the strap and
ground away the yolk, bolt and strap.
It appears the bolt loosened enough to allow the
U-joint to move around, but  I[m not sure this was the
cause. The yolk didn't show splayed metal, as it would
if the U-joint was beating it in one direction, but
distinctly was worn away.  I was able to unscrew the
bolt with little effort. If the bolt loosened enough
to cause this, it stopped moving about the time the
cup began wearing into the side of the bolt. If the
bearings froze inside the cup, I'd expect much more
wear on the ouside of the cup.

Chuck Kubin