<VV> Removing head studs

Mike Ioanes mioanes at woh.rr.com
Sun Sep 4 20:03:13 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Monasterio" <dmonasterio at megared.net.mx>
. After this step, I used an impact wrench (9/16", 6 point socket) giving a
few shots out, then in, then out... until the nut starts moving. I don't
know why but, the impact wrench works better than a hand wrench on turning
the nut only and not the stud. Sometimes it is better to use a 14 mm. socket
instead of a 9/16" (14.3 mm) because of tighter fit to the nut.

    Daniel
It's because the impact wrench starts out, or gets there very fast, at its
maximum torque.  Example:  loosening the nut holding the pulley on an
alternator.  I've had the mechanics where I work change pulleys on a LOT of
alternators for my customers...NEVER have I seen one not spin right off with
an impact wrench.  If you were to try to do this "by hand" (and I've done
that a few times) you'd need to put the pulley in a vise or somehow stop it
and the alt. from turning.  don't know if I'm explaining the physics right,
but am sure of the results.
Mike Ioanes