<VV> Re: checking piston clearance

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 22:22:17 EDT 2005

snipped, and bottom posted

> From: Stephen Upham
> Subject: Rebuild II
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> Ok, I was told to insert the pistons into the jugs (sans rings) head
> first ( the opposite of how it would be assembled when put together)
> up to the bottom of the crescent of the skirt. I was able to get the
> ..002 gauge to go in on each of the cylinders, but only on either side
> of the apex of the skirt. It was also tight as so as to require a back
> and forth motion and it seemed as though, when the gauge would not go
> it, that coxing it back and forth and side to side (pendulum manner)
> allowed the gauge to insert. Once in, it moved more freely.
> Thoughts. Do I have .002 clearance or am I fooling myself?
>
> Stephen Upham
Here's a picture of someone measuring piston-cylinder clearance on a FIAT with a feeler gage.  Note only 1 gage is used since piston clearance, like most engine clearances, is diametral, not 'per-side".
The clearance measurement point is 90 degree to the pin. The pistons are very out of round (cam ground), on purpose.
http://www.fiat-spider.net/servicemanualpages/Engine/images/eng-piston5.jpg
My 1952 Chilton's manual's procedure is put the feeler gage in first, then slide the naked piston in.  That's how I'd do it.
Positioning a ring in a cylinder and checking the ring end gap at several locations along the cylinder is a worthwhile check for cylinder taper.  The change in gap is ~3X the amount of taper.