<VV> Rebuild II

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon Sep 5 23:30:56 EDT 2005

I'm not a big beliver in using a feeler gauge to check piston clearance.
Generally what a machine shop would do would be to measure the pistons with a
micrometer calibrated to .0001  ("tenths").  Then the machine shop hones each
cylinder to match each piston using the specifications provided with the piston.
To do the clearance with a feeler gauge requires a pull-scale and a specific
width and length of feeler gauge.  You are kidding yourself, and risking the
rebuild, by using a random feeler gauge without a scale. Take the jugs and
pistons to a machine shop and have them matched.  A little side note: I got what
was supposed to be a matched set a couple of years ago - these came from a major
vendor.  My friend got a set from the same vendor at the same time.  I had my
set double checked at my machine shop just for grins.  Guess what?  They had
slightly less than .001" clearance!  I had the shop hone them to the proper
clearance and they are fine.  My friend?  He didn't have his checked and the
whole set was ruined in less than 100 miles.
Get them checked and fitted!
Craig Nicol
65,66,67 140/4s