<VV> Rebuild II

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Tue Sep 6 02:52:50 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/5/05 7:43:34 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
contactsmu at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Clark's premium cast pistons.  This from the jugs and pistons set
> ordered for the first rebuild.  Old jugs were scored and (will be soon
> I hope as I have been riding around with them in the trunk trying to
> find time to do it for the last week) sent back for core value, rings
> gone to ring heaven.  New chrome rings and 320 finish jugs from Lon.
> I'm just checking to see if the Clark's pistons will work in the new
> jugs from Lon.

Well, in light of the other problems you've encountered, and with Clark's
pistons and Lon's cylinders, I have to say I agree with the other guys. Take the
pistons and cyls to a good shop and have them check for proper clearances.

If you were just verifying clearances on work done by a shop, then I'd go
along with what you are doing. But in this case, get a professional check first.
Then you do your check.

In doing your check, be aware that the factory clearance is specified at 2
inches from the top of the piston on the long skirt side. Unless you have a long
feeler, you might not be able to do this. That is why I suggested the paper
strip.

Regards,
Bob Helt