<VV> Poor Gas Mileage

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue Sep 6 09:25:11 EDT 2005

I suppose a "stuck open" high-speed enrichment valve is possible on a carb
that isn't clean internally. In my experience, power valves get stuck IN their
seat, not out. Normally both the pump check valve and the power valve return to
their seat freely, assisted by gravity and vibration.  Note that only a small
number of Corvair carbs have power valves; only 64-5 primary carbs. Your '67
didn't come with PV carbs originally.  To check yours, locate the fuel inlet
side of the carb, follow the long accelerator pump arm to the bottom and there,
at the lower edge of the bowl, you will find an aluminum plug on a PV carb.
The plug's head is about 1/8" in diameter.  No plug = no power valve.
Good hunting!
Craig

<snip>
Recently there was a post about poor gas mileage in a LM. While going
through the service notes there was one that mentioned that if the Power
Enrichement needle is misaligned, there is constant fPE low and there will
be a 4-5 MPG loss. It also said the most common cause of misalignment was
to turn the carb upside down to drain which would unseat the needle valve.
Padgett <unsnip>