<VV> Tail & Back up Lights

Chris C, Warwick RI ricorvair at cox.net
Tue Sep 6 16:24:25 EDT 2005

Congrats.

The ground in the socket can theoretically work, but I found it a big pain.

First thing.  I would add a ground to the sockets.  I got away with this
for years.

Then I finally got tired of the bulb going out, and put in more modern
sockets.  The kind for a 3057 bulb.  It is a snap in bulb.

My process was:
         Put the old housing in a bench vise and drill out the old socket.
         Fasten the housing to a 2/4 and use a bit a little bit bigger than
the socket I purchased.
         Trim a spot for the 3 tangs.
         Then I wired the new socket in.  Pre-test before putting
everything.  I had originally reversed the wires from high to low.  So I
got a turn signal, and bright tail lights, but you could not tell when the
turn signal and headlights were on.
         Crimped properly and wrapped in good electrical tape.  Ran the
ground threw the grommet so it does not stick out.
         Total cost - cheap.

If you need other help, I am in RI.