<VV> OCTANE CALCULATION

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Wed Sep 7 20:03:44 EDT 2005

Strictly speaking, with mixes as you describe, one needs to perform to
same  onerous laboratory Motor and Research tests with a CFR engine to
calculate the new octane. That's because 93 (or whatever) octane fuel
from one station at a point in time is not necessarily the same 93
octane fuel from a different sdtation at a different point in time and
it doesn't necessarily respond to being mixed with another fuel in the
same way.

That said, taking a straight arithmetic ratio (i.e. average them if you
are mixing 50:50) is close enough for anything but true laboratory
testing.  You might be +/- 1 point or so depending on the specific
hydrocarbon compounds in each of the component fuels, but it's not a big
deal for street driving.  Easy enough, huh?

Jim Burkhard