<VV> Answer to Mustang No Corvair

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Fri Sep 9 16:33:06 EDT 2005

Yup -- I always heard that an itty-bitty 177hp 4 cylinder makes a
roaring answer to an up-to 500 hp V8 (minimum 300 hp, even the V6 has
80 more hp than Soltice).  And making a "convertible only" instead of
all the variants is a roaring answer too.  Most telling, GM states
they plan to sell 20,000 to 30,000 per year.  Ford will sell millions
of Mustangs in the current iteration.  In fact, the article I read
said the Ford has already sold more than Soltice would sell in a
century! In that segment (pony car) we can say whatever we like about
whomever makes a better car on a technical basis, but it is clear
which makes the best car on a purely business basis -- just check the
sales figures for Mustang/Cougar versus Camaro/Trans Am and you will
note that Ford consistently outsells and consistently makes money --
even with that terrible Mustang II.  And even though on paper the GM
cars seemed better to me, I always bought the Fords ... Corvairs have
been an aberration for me :-)  Then there is that Corvette ...

At 11:48 AM 9/9/2005, you wrote:
>And Saturn will improve upon it with the Sky!
>
>Dave.. .
>On Sep 8, 2005, at 3:26 PM, Garth Stapon wrote:
>

>>GM has answered the Mustang call today.
>>
>>Not to put words in their mouth but GM has two words for the Mustang.
>>
>>Pontiac Solstice.
>>
>>Bob Lutz is finally making his presence felt at GM.
>>
>>Way to go Bob!
>>
>>Yes I know its a 4 banger, but we have already beat the MPG discussion to
>>death.
>>
>>Pontiac is once again building excitement.
>>
>>Regards, Garth

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can
leave a message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off
when I sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and
lots of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html