<VV> But Seriously Folks, Here's a Post About Fuel Pumps

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Sun Sep 11 16:46:02 EDT 2005

VVers:

I replaced the fuel pump on my '65 less than 2K miles ago (i..e, last
summer).  This morning, while warming it up, I noticed a small puddle
forming under the engine.  When I opened the hood, fuel was leaking
quite rapidly from the side of the pump.  I tried tightening all the
bolts on top of the unit, but the leak continued.

I don't mean to re-start the debate about mechanical vs. electric
pumps.  I just want to replace my mechanical unit and get driving again.

I have read here on VV about how there used to be a problem with the
fuel pumps, but now the problem's gone, and to look for the diaphragm
with the cloth fibers, and etc., etc., etc.  Unfortunately, I bought the
pump I did with an assurance from the vendor that it wasn't from the old
stock and that the problem has been taken care of, and that the
diaphragms had the right reinforcing materials, etc., etc.

Despite such assurances from the vendor, I couldn't take my car on a
long-planned trip on this crystal clear late-Summer day today.  So, yes,
I'm disappointed, and kind of annoyed.

Clarks currently lists pumps from two vendors, one from a vendor Clark's
believes has fixed the problem and another from a vendor with whom they
have had less experience.  (The full discussion is at
http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?function=goto&catalog=MAIN&section=MAIN&page=65).
Corvair Underground indicates that the pumps they carry have had the
problem fixed.  The Source indicates their pumps are guaranteed.

Can anyone tell me (online, or offline if you want to trash someone)
which pumps they have had *success* with?  I don't want to start another
debate about whether a long-term guarantee is worth anything if we're
all still suffering from a 5% failure rate.  What I want to do is figure
out who's got pumps that are ok.  All three vendors are +/- $10 on
price, so cost isn't an issue as much as reliabilty.

BTW, if this has been discussed to death over the past few months,
please forgive me as I have been offline.  If that's the case, let me
know and I'll go read it in the archives.

Thanks.

Steven "laments every day he can't drive a ragtop in a short New England
summer" Serenska