<VV> But Seriously Folks, Here's a Post About Fuel Pumps

Brown, David David.Brown at bsci.com
Sun Sep 11 17:29:33 EDT 2005

Steven,
I can almost guarantee that the pump surfaces are warped.  I started
about a year ago rebuilding my fuel pumps (plus several for others in
our club) just because I like to run original stuff.  I have done 6 & no
problems so far.  Interestingly, in EVERY case the diaphragms were FINE,
but the surfaces were warped.  As instructed by the folks I get the kits
from, I file the surfaces flat using a large file.  The worst one to
date was the "newest" one.  It was brand new, but the original vendor
box had been lost, so I don't know where it came from.  It was my only
spare at the time & I had been carrying it since I bought my car (6
years ago).  It lasted 6 months before it started leaking out the side.
When I took it apart to put in a new kit, everything looked perfect,
until I checked the flatness by filing a little, and wa-la, very warped.
I documented the same problem on 5 others that I did.  Although I don't
know where these pumps came from, or their age, it was obvious to me
that none of them had been filed, or cut flat.  They were just as they
came out of the casting.  Right now, my personal feeling is that I will
only run a pump on MY cars that I have rebuilt & checked or filed for
flatness.
Dave
Corvair Houston