<VV> But Seriously Folks, Here's a Post About Fuel Pumps

Brown, David David.Brown at bsci.com
Sun Sep 11 21:36:42 EDT 2005

Sure, I get them from Antique Auto Parts Cellar.  They answer the phone
"Then & Now", which corresponds to their web site:
www.then-now.com and their email, the cellar at then-now.com .  The phone
is 781-335-8860.  The address is PO Box 3C, South Weymouth, MA, 02190.
The kit I get is #4886, for 61-69.  Kit #4704 is for 1960.  Cost is
$24.50 + $7.50 for shipping.  However, shipping stays at $7.50 (total)
if you order more than one at a time.  They use fabric reinforced Buna-N
Nitrile rubber.

I find them to be woefully inefficient via email, so I always phone.
Tom is the owner & the one who makes all of the kits, but his people
skills are horrible, so I don't make an effort to talk to him unless I
have something to discuss.  Which I currently do.  I called him last
week to check why they don't put the correct spring in the kit (I always
use the one in the pump I'm rebuilding).  He said he would check into it
& let me know.  The one in the kit is cylindrical & doesn't fit right.
The correct one is tapered (large on one end, small on the other).
NOTE: I just opened up the last kit, out of 3, that I ordered recently
and it is a match for the correct spring, so maybe he is starting to put
them in!?!

As far as rebuilding tips, be careful to note which way the valves go in
when you have it apart.  When you start filing, do just a little at
first to see what areas are higher than others.  Also make sure there is
a mark on all pieces on one side so it is easy to line the holes back
up.  The holes are ever so slightly NOT symmetrically opposed & only go
one way.  The diaphragms usually have a small piece of marker rubber to
help line things up.  I use 5 small garden stakes to keep all the pieces
lined up when I squash down the cover & spring.  Then just pull out one
at a time & replace with a screw.

I have jpegs of the kit & what the surfaces look like as one files them
flat- let me know & I will send them to you.

Dave
Corvair Houston
69 Monza cp 140/4, 65 Monza cvt 140/4, 65 Monza sedan 110/PG