<VV> more finds in the 69

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Tue Sep 13 00:02:33 EDT 2005

Hey guys,
I still haven't turned up my timing light, so I haven't checked the timing on
the 69, but I DID check the spark plugs... some moron put R43TS plugs in
it... and those are TAPER SEAT plugs... I have no idea how long they were in
there, but it ran... it runs better now that I put a set of R44F plugs in there,
and set the idle down a hair... still needs a carb balancing, though....
I DID find something while cleaning out the 69... a Vehicle Inspection Report
dated 8/5/03 where the PO took it to the sniffer... the gas cap test passed,
and the HC (in PPM) Loaded Reading was 210, Loaded standard is 900... Idle
Reading was 292, Idle standard is 900...... the CO in Percent... Loaded Reading
was 0.88% .... Loaded standard is 7.50%....... Idle Reading was 0.83%.......
Idle standard is 7.50%...... sounds like a clean running car.... I wonder if
this was before or after he put the R43TS plugs in it?
The plan is to drive it to the club meeting tuesday night if I can figure out
the timing problem... I might have to dig up my old "static" timer I used on
my VWs over 15 years ago...
I would have had all that close to done, along with the 2 oil changes, but my
neighbor stopped by... he's retired, and was talking about his latest
adventure... an Amish friend of his has an 11 year old son (the oldest of 8 kids) who
is taking the "Hunter's Safety Course" and he doesn't have a shot gun of his
own... my neighbor Bill has a Stevens Model 58A .410 bolt action with a
magazine that belonged to his late son... it hadn't been shot in years and he loaded
the clip, pulled the bolt back, and chambered a shell... he said soon as he
did that it shot a hole into his bedroom wall.... I told him to bring it up and
I'd look at it... It was in dire need of a cleaning, so I disassembled it and
began oiling and cleaning it while he talked.... 3 hours and 10 shells later
it is working almost like new... it needed a major oiling and cleaning... and
the magazine had been spread open a bit too far, causing it to jam on the
first shell... he tried to pay me, and I told him to just stop by and take me out
for lunch the next time he plans on hitting the Chinese joint... I really
enjoy his company... he is sooo full of stories, and as down to earth as anyone
I've ever met... it a lot of ways he reminds me of my Dad... I told Bill to pick
up a shotgun cleaning kit the next time he's in Wally World, just so that
Amish boy will have the means to keep his firearm in safe, working order...
All in all a very productive day...
I still haven't torn into that door... I might wait until the rain passes on
thursday...
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg,
1963 Greenbrier 110/4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg