<VV> Wheels and Tires Question

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Sep 13 21:36:26 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/13/2005 5:02:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
htrouble76 at netins.net writes:

Hi  All!  I posted before that I am new to Vairs in general.  We are  getting
ready to start tearing in to my 66 corsa convertible. We are  looking at
putting some different wheel and tire combos underneath.   So what is the
biggest wheel and tire combo you'd all recommend without  rubbing the
metal???  Difference for front to  back?

Thanks,

Heather

The most economical "performance" combination I have seen it to find a set
of 82-92 Camaro Z28 wheels - those are 15 x 7" aluminum wheels with the correct
 bolt pattern and offset for the Corvair. (Check the mini-ads - chevy sold
tons  of them!) Buy a set of 205-55-15 tires - (a set of 4, so you can rotate
them front to rear) buy the correct "bulge-nut" lug nuts - you should not run
stock ones, they will damage the wheels. All in all a good economical combo.
The  225-50-15 tire is exactly the same height, but a little bit wide to clear
on the  front - but will fit fine on the rear if rotating is not in the plan.
 Eight inch wheels will clear on the back, tough on the front.

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer at aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette