<VV> PG pouring out fluid

Jim McLott Jim.McLott at DOR.GA.GOV
Wed Sep 14 12:28:01 EDT 2005

Bill,

Christine did exactly the same thing, except she was sitting in my garage at the time.  It seemed like a gusher of ATF was coming out of the bellhousing.  What a mess.  And not the easiest thing in the world to fix, either.  But if a ham-fisted rookie like me can fix it, so can you.

The seal where the torque converter mates to the stator shaft is leaking.  You'll have to pull the engine and split the engine from the differential.  Once you've done that, you can R&R the seal in the differential case.  (Part C1698 or U-293)  You might want to replace the bushing in the torque converter while you're at it.(C1868 or U-292)  Finally, take a good look at the stator shaft itself.  If there are grooves worn in it, you'll need to replace that, too.  You'll have to find a good used stator shaft as that part hasn't been reproduced.  You'll also have to take the insides of the differential apart to replace the stator shaft and I'm afraid I can't help you there.  I know my limits, so I subcontracted that task.

The whole thing shouldn't take more than a couple of weekends, depending on how quickly you can get the stator shaft replaced if necessary.  The only reason it took me over a year is because I came down with "as-long-as-I've-got-it-apart-I-might-as-well-replace-this-too" disease.  Do as I say and not as I do and you'll be fine.

Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible she-devil
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta and Group Red (Ret.)
http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/groupred/mclott.htm

________________________________

From: Bill Elliott [mailto:Corvair at fnader.com]
Sent: Tue 9/13/2005 6:56 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> PG pouring out fluid

<snip>

The fluid is POURING out of the trans... but at the bellhousing! What's up with that? I've only had a few
PG's...and they all leaked...but none there!  The smoke was from the oil burning off the exhaust.

So I know I need to replace the trans...but with new problem, what else as well?

Thanks!
Bill Elliott