<VV> Vapor lock revisited

GFrenzie at aol.com GFrenzie at aol.com
Wed Sep 14 20:14:01 EDT 2005

To all the Corvair "guru's" that offered their help with the problem I
thought was a "vapor lock"....I want to thank all that submitted suggestions...I
changed carbs with rebuilt ones, didn't correct the problem...readjusted the
timing, was off slightly, didn't correct the problem...changed the fuel pump,
didn't correct the problem...removed the starter, was going to have it
checked...and I then found what turned out to be the problem, tho it was minor, it turned
out to be a big PITA....the grounding strap had been attached to the
generator frame...and that turned out to be the culprit..the connecting spade was
loose and turned very easily from side to side...I cleaned it up, and re-attached
it firmly...reinstalled the starter...then drove it about 10 miles...shut it
off, and then held my breath while trying to start it up...started right up
without even a grunt...drove it home, shut it off...and restarted it
again...fired right up...so bottom line is this...another thing to look for when you think
you have a vapor lock...your ground strap(s)....Thanks to Tom Zimmermann for
helping me with this...
George