<VV> was: Vapor lock revisited now: engine ground

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Sep 15 12:45:10 EDT 2005

As we all know, an EM ground strap has a battery terminal at one end, a  hole
about 3/4 down, and another hole at the end.  The mid-way hole goes to  the
body and the end hole goes to the generator - according to figure 8-68 on  page
8-40 of the '61 manual.  If it's loose = no engine ground.  I  have seen
cases where the soldered/braided end was replaced by a crimped-on  lug.  It would
sure make more sense to me if this end were connected to the  cylinder head as
it is in lates. That would seem to be a better current  path.  I looked in
the '64 supplement to see if GM documented any changes  but I didn't see any. EM
experts: time to chime in!  Is the end of the  ground cable connected to the
generator in all earlies?
Craig (curious) Nicol

<snip>
> ... and the nicely grounded generator and engine  block are grounded to???-
> (drum roll): The battery, through the  previously loose ground strap.  No
> ground strap = no high current  path to the battery.
>  C. Nicol

But  he said:

the grounding strap had been attached to the
generator  frame...and that turned out to be the culprit..the connecting
spade
was
loose and turned very easily from side to  side...

Connecting  spade??   that's a wire terminal....crimped......usually attached

to the 1/4-20 screw on the generator body....

The Bat NEG  strap  on an early is soldered at the bolt holes...AFAIR
<unsnip>