<VV> My Project & Clean-up

Kevin Spargur southernheritage at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 16 12:21:49 EDT 2005

Gentlemen,

Being one of the newest "lurkers" on Virtual Vairs, I stirred up some
hornets a week or two ago with commenting about providing members with
the option of receiving their newsletter in hardcopy or electronically
as a PDF file.  More recently, I stirred the nest again when talking
about cleaning window scum and dirt.  Well, HOPEFULLY, I won't irritate
the hornets nest this time (again) and actually contribute something to
the list.

I am not sure if I posted this to the list but, recently, I was the
recipient of a 1967 Corvair 2-Door Hardtop.  I went and retrieved my
trophy this past Monday evening and I must say that it was a shocker
when I first saw it.  Silently, I wondered if I really knew what I
wanted and if I was sure I was ready to do this.

The car had sat in a horse corral for probably 5-7 years, if not
longer.  It was supposed to be white but it honestly looked like a cross
between "Algae Green" and some form of "Moldy Grey".  There was no way
in the world that you could see through the windows as the mold, algae,
and lichen had appeared to form some kind of calcification over the
glass.  The leaf litter and every thing else contributed to a layer of
decomposition that appear to be "dirt-like" in constituancy.
Apparently, the young man was going to restore it, got interested in
horses and dropped the project.  After a build up of leaves and such, he
then covered it over which allowed the mold and alge to form and grow.
The "good" part of this (if there is a "good" part) is that the algae
and mold actually seemed to have formed some for of protective covering
for the metal as the amount of body rust, though more than I would have
liked to see, is only that which is typical of the early GM cars (rocker
panels, windshield & trunk/hood corners, etc.)  It was difinately
something to make me step back and consider take a long second thought.

As is most often the case, I took the "Original photos" of what the care
looked like when I got it.  Everything that I could get to first, I
photographed.  As I get to additional areas, I will be photographing
them before I begin work on that area.  If anyone is interested in what
the care looked like on Monday, let me know and I can send you the pics.

Well, yesterday, I began what I call "Phase One: Clean-up".  My
objective was to start trying to clean it up and see exactly what I have
to work with.  Step #1 was to clean all of the glass on the outside.  I
grabbed a bottle of the "new & improved" Fantastic Spray Cleaner and the
"new & improved" 409 Orange Spray Cleaner, a roll of Bounty paper
towels, and a can of WD40 to spray all hinged parts and rusted metal.  I
say "new & improved" because both of them claim to contain a "new
formula" to "cut through the toughest dirt, grease, and grim."

I started on the Driverside Window and rearview mirror using the
Fantastic.  "WOW!" is all I can say.  It took the "scum" off right down
to the glass on the first pass!  This by no means indicates that the
glass is completely clean but I could see through the glass almost
immediately.  It took me about 35 to 45 minutes to go completely around
the car doing only the outer glass surfaces.  I can now stand at my
curb, look at my car from the street and see all the way through from
any angle.  Some of the "over-spray from the nozzle landed on the chrome
and paint around the gladd and the Fantastic cleaned it.  The chrome
looks like a new dime and the paint is actually WHITE!

This morning, I went back out to spend a little more time "cleaning the
car and lubing all of the hinges, etc. I commenced with "Phase One: Step
#2", cleaning the body.  This time, I started with the "new & improved"
409.  It cut straight through the mold, algae, and lichen.  In fact, it
worked so fast that it looked like green paint being smeared on top of
the white and bare metal areas.

I have to tell you that the cleaners and the Bounty paper towels
performed excellently on something that I thought would be hopeless.  I
figured that it would be a start at least and was pleasantly surprised
at the results.

BTW...  In the process of cleaning everything, I made the discovery
that, what I thought was a Corvair 2-Door Coup Hardtop is a Corvair
Monza.  Now, they may be one in the same vehicle but I'm new to Corvair
ownership.  So please be gentle with me.

If anyone is interested, I can e-mail you pics of the "before & after"
of this work in progress.

Kevin

Kevin Spargur
'67 Corvair Monza 2-Door Hardtop