<VV> No hot idle

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Sep 16 15:03:27 EDT 2005

> > isn't there supposed to be a passage at the bottom of this vent ?
>
>No. Not on the 1963-69 carbs

Well strike another possibility. Now have the carbs off and found bakelite
only on one side and bakelite sandwiched with thin gaskets on other. Cold
compression test showed min of a bit over 150 and max of about 167 so
barely in tolerance but well over 130. Plugs looked even with about 60
miles on them.

Someone played Godzilla on the fuel nut on the passenger side, had to add
vicegrip extension to my flare wrench to get off. Not good. (My belief is
that if the fitting is clean and proper, it should not need much force to
seal. If it does, the surface needs more prep. - OTOH it is easy with no
time limit and all in a reasonably well equipped garage at a moderate
temperature to not just tweak it a bit more - am way too slow to be a
professional.).

Meanwhile carbs look to be recent rebuilds, stones are clean, only
irregularity appears to be missing thin gaskets on one side. Did notice
that the lower idle vents (rubber on spring piece) do not seem to be
opening when throttle is closed (need adjustment). What effect would these
not opening have ?

Padgett