<VV> Tire Sizes and MPG

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Sun Sep 18 21:25:22 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/18/2005 5:56:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rchivers at tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I am running 185 60 14 tires on my vair.  I get around 17 mpg around town.
> My vair is a 65 convertable with a 95 hp with Pg.  My friend has a 65 coupe
> 110 with 4 speed and gets 22mph around time.  He is running 185 80 14 tires.
>
> I like the way my car looks with the lower profile, but with gas prices I
> have to wonder how much the tire size might affect the fuel economy.  I know
>
> when I am running 70 mph indicated it is actually running about 64 mph true.
>
> This is consistent with the different circumference of the two tires.  I
> recognise that the standard will get better milage but it seems like quite a
>
> bit of difference.
>
> Any thoughts or past experience with tire diameter and mileage ??

*****
1  Have you adjusted the odometer for the same error?   10%  less than
actual?
so  when your odo says 250 miles traveled since last fillup....it's really
only 225.....

2nd...your shorter tires will actually help with a PG...only 2
gears.....better gearing foraround town....

I'd start with recurving your distributor's mechanical advance to up the
mileage...

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Mr. DeckRug