<VV> Ole Valve Guide Eater

Hubert A Smith vairologist at juno.com
Mon Sep 19 18:20:18 EDT 2005

Smitty Says:  Several have posted me wanting to know what I found on the
wagon that might have caused the guide failures.  I have told each that
when I had something to report, I would.  Got the engine fired up today
with a oil press gauge on it.  40 psi at idle with engine warm.  (Not
full operating temp).  Pulled a valve cover and it had the usual half cup
of oil in it.  After the initial draining was complete all rockers had a
steady drip of oil coming from them.  BUT !!!    Not a squirt of oil in
sight from any of the pushrods which were spinning around and around.
        My NAPA guy says his lifters listed for Corvairs are not the same
as SBC.  At this point I don't care if they have inverted wide dimples
with a twin ball check flutter valve as long as they oil the springs.  I
will start installing them in the morning.