<VV> Ole Valve Guide Eater

corvairs lonwall at corvairunderground.com
Tue Sep 20 00:33:30 EDT 2005

Again, how did his "usual half cup of oil" get in the rocker cover?????
(Keep in mind this is after the engine has been stopped and the majority
of  oil present has drained back into the (gasp!) draintubes before the
cover can come off. All that oil was present (somehow?) not doing
anything? LONG before he would lose a valve guide he would have lost one
or more rockers and purshrods. LONG before.  The lifters weren't passing
oil? Why no lifter noise? Why more than adequate residual oil in the
rocker cover? Have the lifters been inspected - is the hole in the seat
missing?

Who did the heads? Who set up the valve guides? About 10 years ago I
built a 140hp engine and had the heads done by one of the world's most
renowned Corvair machinsts. After the first  700 miles I lost 6 guides -
they had been set up too tight. Why isn't this a possibility? I have had
customers lose guides on new engines because at some point in the
cylinder head's life, some machinist bored a guide hole slightly off.
Why isn't this a possibility?

Sorry folks, but the lifters are one of the last places I'd look. If you
had lubrication failures prematurely (20,000, 40,000 miles etc) then,
after ruling out numerous other more likely scenarios, lifters
inadequately oiling COULD be looked at. But lifters a cause of a valve
guide failing within the first 2000 miles???? Sorry, there is no way I
can buy that.

Let's suppose Smitty bought the worst set of lifters on the planet - To
cause a guide failure within 2000 miles, yet not cause ticking or
improper operation? I don't  think he would have left home on an engine
that was  oiling the valve train so poorly. It would have been WAY
obvious from the start.    Lon