<VV> Ole Valve Guide Eater

Hubert A Smith vairologist at juno.com
Tue Sep 20 01:10:03 EDT 2005

Smitty Says:  Gents I have no intention of going any farther with my
account until I have more factual information.  People were asking me how
it was coming along, and I told what I knew so far.  Let me add a few
more words though.  To stop guesswork, all pushrods were clean and had
the spit holes at the rocker end.  They were spinning.  There was enough
oil coming up them to wet down the rockers and balls.  The accumilation
of oil in the valve cover was probably not 1/2 cup.  It was just the oil
that had not run down the tubes yet.  I didn't know I was going to get
tasked to explain how many CCs it was.  The engine was run for maybe 30
minutes.  20 minutes with a test cover on (one with a long window in it)
and another good 5-8 minutes with no cover at all because I couldn't see
the pushrods rotating with the test cover.  I removed the test cover
while the engine was running.  The only oil getting on the springs and
valve stems was what I was squirting there with an oil pistol.  I'm not
playing any blame game so if you will give me time to work this out I
will give you more when I have it.
        This engine had about 3,000 miles on it when the first failure
occured.  The second guide (on the opposite head) started to fail about
7-8,000 miles later.  I have had conversations with many Corvair Mechs
about possible causes of the failures.  They all have the value of a good
guess until facts are in.