<VV> Starter switch problem & solution

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Tue Sep 20 16:36:07 EDT 2005

      Some weeks ago my Workhorse (Rampside 62) began with troubbles on the starting circuit. Sometimes while trying to crank, nothing happened, nor even the clacking sound at the starter solenoid so, I suspected from a loose connection, bad switch or too old wires. Carefully disassemblied the ignition switch to find out that the fixed starting contact have much surface wear. As I don't have an ULTRA switch replacement, I just made some cleaning, filing and bending on the rotating plate before reassembling. It worked better for a few days only. I know that the best solution is a new ignition switch and replacing of all main wiring harness but it will involve some hundred dollars and lots of time. NOTE: switch works but, doesn't allow enough current to pass to the solenoid. SOLUTION: Installed a new and cheap 30 A. relay (solenoid uses about 1 A.) near from the starter to mannage all the current to the solenoid. It works better than ever ! (5 days and about 40 starts without any problem).
      If somebody has this problem, wants to fix it this way and needs details and/or pictures, just ask for.

      Daniel Monasterio