<VV> jets for power

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Wed Sep 21 12:00:22 EDT 2005

I'm not a piston engine pilot or any kind of pilot for that matter.  I made
the silly assumption that the full rich setting on an airplane carb yielded
12:1 or so, which is the max power afr.  Evidently, it's richer than that.  Why
doesn't a piston airplane exhibit black exhaust smoke as it does on a car
engine when they are over rich?  Why not grey smoke as when an a car engine is
passing unburnt fuel out the exhaust?
Craig (always learning) Nicol
Sorry guys, every piston engine pilot knows that max power is NOT found at
full rich.