<VV> Mixture - and airplanes

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 21 12:35:39 EDT 2005

Well, not EVERY piston engine pilot.  This one doesn't know that - but then
airport altitude at Corpus Christi is approximately 40 feet MSL.  I suspect
it depends on the particular engine/carb, how the cable is adjusted, etc.
I'm SURE it depends on altitude.  The main purpose of the mixture control on
small piston driven aircraft is to allow the mixture to be brought back to a
reasonable point as the altitude is increased.  Certainly, if the airport is
high enough (say, Ruidoso, NM), leaning the mixture will increase power, but
I don't think that's generally true near sea level.

I will say that the Piper Cherokees I used to fly out of Corpus Christi did
not smoke or give any other indication of running overly rich when they were
flown with the mixture knob pushed all the way in (rich).  Nor did the plugs
or cylinder walls or exhaust systems show excessive carbon buildup
indicating a rich condition.  The majority of the hours on these (flight
school) engines was done within a couple thousand feet of sea level, and we
did not teach our students to lean them out on those local flights, so I'm
sure the mixture setting was almost always full rich.

Roger Gault