<VV> Jets for power LITTLE CORVAIR

Wade Halsey HiHal at adelphia.net
Wed Sep 21 16:08:50 EDT 2005

Norman C. Witte wrote:

>I thought that you leaned an airplane motor to maintain the correct
>stochiometry; the higher you go, the thinner the air gets.  My recollection
>was that running rich at takeoff was to ensure max power--better to waste
>some gas than to be too lean and not get airborne.

Actually, many small unsupercharged piston aircraft can easily reach a
point where they cannot become airborne if the right combination of
conditions occur. At high altitude, high temperature, and high humidity,
many small airplanes can not take off at gross weight. Altitude,
temperature, and humidity all reduce the density of air which reduces
the need for as much gas to be mixed. The engine will need to be leaned
in order to produce its best power output under these condition. Even
so, power may be reduced to 50-60% of its rated output. Not only that,
the wings produce less lift in the less dense air but need MORE power,
not less. There is a point where the plane just can't take off and
climb. Every student pilot learns how to compute this for the type of
plane they will be flying.

All this to say---full rich mixture is not the way to max power under
some conditions.

Wade Halsey