<VV> RE: Interesting Article ...NOW Engineer (no

Cepak, Tom A tom.a.cepak at lmco.com
Thu Sep 22 14:08:41 EDT 2005

Jim,

I hate to bust your bubble even further about your son's potential job
prospects, but,
major corporations are now outsourcing the programming and web
development jobs overseas.
They can and are paying the software developers in India 1/3 the salary
of what the software developers are being
paid here.  The only industry that is fairly immune right now to the
outflow of professional
engineering and software jobs is the defense industry.  This is only
because most major projects have
U.S. only and Classified hardware and software requirements levied on
them.  But unfortunatly, we are seeing
the people at corporate level management of our subcontractors
stretching the definition of US only.
Another problem with defense is that it is very cyclical.  We went from
32,000+ employees at my location in
1992 to 12,000+ employees by 1996.  Now with a few new contracts we're
at around 16,000+.

Tom

Message: 4