<VV> Insurance

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Sep 23 09:55:47 EDT 2005

>  Is not the newer car more likely to be in an accident because it is
> typically driven more miles per year than the 15 year old car? Not in my
> family, but typically! So are you saying that older car drivers with
> collision coverage are subsidizing the new car owners?

Not always true. For instance a Corvair does not have the shock absorbing
bumpers, harnesses, air bags, or ABS of a modern car and so in the same
collision is likely to suffer more damage both to it and to you. Even so
you have options:
1) no-one is forcing you to take collision (as mentioned comprehensive is
cheap). You could just bank that part of the premium and see if it takes
care of problems when something happens.
2) there are stated value and collector car policies (right now I have the
"daily drivers" with Allstate and the "collector cars" with JC Taylor).
There is no reason that all of your cars need have the same coverage or
even use the same company.

BTW my policy rates the cars also according to annual mileage, work or
pleasure, and drivers. Might check if your ratings are correct. There was a
significant drop when one car was changed from "over 8000 miles annually"
to under.

Padgett

Padgett

Padgett