<VV> PayPal & bank accts.--NO CORVAIR

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Fri Sep 23 11:05:48 EDT 2005

For securtiy reasons I have some strong feelings on this. As a very heavy Paypal and Ebay user, here is what I did:

1. Credit card is one with a low limit and special "internet" protection (limiting my losses in case of ID theft)

2. Bank account is at a credit union, is "savings" only,  and is set up to allow electronic deposits but NOT to allow electronic transfers out. This will allow
you to verify your Paypal account (because they transmit in a few cents), to move money out of your Paypal account, but not to use this method to move
money into your account.

Disadvantage: some Paypal users have an account that will not accept Paypals from a credit card. For these you have to have an account balance since
you can't use an e-check or e-transfer from the bank account. If you do need to add money to your balance, you will need a separate Paypal account
(non-verified) to send in credit card payments to your account.

Advantage: Your entire Paypal liability (if you are concerned about that from reading all the horror stories) is only your Paypal balance. Paypal can't hit your
credit card without your permission and can't hit your savings account due to the bank.

Consequently, I move all payments out ASAP into my dsaving account and leave a Paypal balance of near zero.

You should be aware, however, that most credit card companies will NOT intercede or arbitrate when a third party system like Paypal is used. Still it's better
than nothing. I do understand why Paypal wants this info... it's your choice whether to supply the info (and get the benefits of being able to do more and
higher dollar trasnactions) or stick with the severe limitations you get with a nonverified account.

I have several hundred Paypal transactions (in and out) and have never had a problem with this setup. And I've found Paypal to be BY FAR the safest way
to buy stuff from outside the US (which I often do to support my strange cars..)

Bill Elliott