<VV> PayPal & bank accts.--NO CORVAIR

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Fri Sep 23 11:38:31 EDT 2005

Two distinctions here...

For payments YOU make to pay for something Paypal will hit your Paypal balance first and whatever payment method you
prefer second. No "third" if you use a credit card.  If you use the bank acount (which is the Paypal default) then the credit card
becomes the third. The bank account info is jst to have a more stable picture of you to better protect against credit card/ID
theft.

NOW...  when you have been PAID for something... and the buyer alleges non-shipment, fraud, or the buyer's credit card is
determined to be stolen, Paypal will try to recover the funds. First thing they do is take them from you Paypal account. I know
this for sure.

I _understand_ that they can further electronically transfer out of your bank account (if the account allows it) but CANNOT hit
your credit card (due to their agreements with the card companies). If true, this would be the OTHER reason for them to have
a bank account.... and why having one that won't let them transfer funds out is a good idea. However, they may not be able to
hit your bank account...I'm really not sure.

Almost all of the "reasonable" Paypal horror stores are from sellers getting funds taken back from them after shipping
goods.  The "unreasonable" Paypal stores (IMO) are the folks that are unhappy with how Paypal handled some dispute with
a seller... even though had they used a money order, cashiers check, cash, or had transferred funds electronically they
would have enjoyed NO recourse... so even the unsatisfactory Paypal dispute relsution is an improvement over the
alternatives.

Bill