<VV> tune up questions

Arthur Landis MONZA63MO at peoplepc.com
Fri Sep 23 20:24:33 EDT 2005

Only 2500 miles since the rebuild of my '66 140/PG. The car had recently become hard to start and run-on was happening when shutting it off.  I decided to do a tune up and see what was going on.  Here's what I found:  The plugs showed evidence of running too cold as the ends of the ground straps on each plug is tan right over the diode.  The porcelain tip all showed light tan deposits.  The base rings were all black. These plugs were Bosch platinum plugs gaped at .025  The points contacts were blackened.  Here's what I did:  Changed the plugs to NGK gaped at .030, replaced the points using the best NAPA has and gaped at .019.  Left the timing alone (my timing light is broken, gotta get a new one this weekend).  I leaned up the primary carbs a bit (3/4 turn)  Changed the oil to synthetic and a new filter.  Here's what happened:  I barely turned the key and it fired right up.  It never started this well even right after the rebuild!  Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, after a test drive I let it sit for a few hours and tried it again.  Poof!  Just a tap of the key and she fires right up.  So what you ask?  Here's my questions:  What plugs and points do you guys prefer?  What gaps?  I suspect that the Bosch platinum plugs run too cold.  Why did my points foul at only 2500 miles?  This is my first 'Vair and her first tune up so I'm real new at this.  Thanks for indulging a newbie!

Art in Missouri
'66 Sport Sedan
140/PG