<VV> tune up questions

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Fri Sep 23 20:51:37 EDT 2005

I prefer Petronix II points :-)

With Pertronix II and matching coil and 8mm wires I gap at .35
specifically to help stop fouling.  Works pretty well although my
turbo is more prone to foul than the rest.

I tend to run a little rich and if too rich, starts a little
hard.  Also my turbo is fairly temperature sensitive.  I suppose only
in AZ do we have 110 degree weather and zero degree weather ... in
the cold I have to run richer than the hot.

If it were me and I wanted to know (I would) I'd turn the carbs back
and see if that alone makes the difference ... but I suspect it is
more likely fouled plugs caused by rich mixture.

I use Silverstone plugs and have found them the best of the modern plugs.

Oh -- the points fouled because they are points :-)

At 05:24 PM 9/23/2005, Arthur Landis wrote:
>Only 2500 miles since the rebuild of my '66 140/PG. The car had
>recently become hard to start and run-on was happening when shutting
>it off.  I decided to do a tune up and see what was going
>on.  Here's what I found:  The plugs showed evidence of running too
>cold as the ends of the ground straps on each plug is tan right over
>the diode.  The porcelain tip all showed light tan deposits.  The
>base rings were all black. These plugs were Bosch platinum plugs
>gaped at .025  The points contacts were blackened.  Here's what I
>did:  Changed the plugs to NGK gaped at .030, replaced the points
>using the best NAPA has and gaped at .019.  Left the timing alone
>(my timing light is broken, gotta get a new one this weekend).  I
>leaned up the primary carbs a bit (3/4 turn)  Changed the oil to
>synthetic and a new filter.  Here's what happened:  I barely turned
>the key and it fired right up.  It never started this well even
>right after the rebuild!  Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, after
>a test drive I let it sit for a few hours and tried it
>again.  Poof!  Just a tap of the key and she fires right up.  So
>what you ask?  Here's my questions:  What plugs and points do you
>guys prefer?  What gaps?  I suspect that the Bosch platinum plugs
>run too cold.  Why did my points foul at only 2500 miles?  This is
>my first 'Vair and her first tune up so I'm real new at
>this.  Thanks for indulging a newbie!
>
>Art in Missouri
>'66 Sport Sedan
>140/PG

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can
leave a message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off
when I sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and
lots of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html