<VV> Re: no such language as "Mexican" No Corvair

Mike Ioanes mioanes at woh.rr.com
Sat Sep 24 01:06:36 EDT 2005

> Au Contrair.
>
> There are many dialects of Spanish.
>
> Our local newspaper did a story earlier this week about the differences.
>
> Mexican is considered it's own language. they feel the schools here
> should
> teach it.
>
> Example
>
> in Spanish a boy is a muchacho
>
> In Mexican the word used was totally different. Can't remember it
> offhand.
>
> They had a bunch of examples and included dialects spoken in Honduras, El
> Salvador,
> Cuba, Mexico and Spain ( really? )
>
> So si Virginia...  There is a language called Mexican.
>
> Tim Abney
> IECC
I've heard it referred to as "Tex-Mex".  I know when we lived in Texas, our
son had a lot of Spanish-speaking friends...said he could tell the Puerto
Ricans from the Mexicans from what they called a car -one called it a
"carro" and one called it a "coache" (spelling is phonetic).  I'd guess
there are more examples.  the same is true of German-there are dialects,
slang words used in one region and not another, as I'm sure Thomas will
confirm if he's following this thread.
Mike Ioanes