<VV> Electric engine cooling fan

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Mon Sep 26 21:01:34 EDT 2005

> My email has been offline for a while and I was wondering, What is the
> latest on Bob Helt's Electric engine Cooling Fan testing?

Tom and others interested:

Before I left on my western trip, Ken brought the car over to my shop
and installed the logger which I had presetup to log the necessary
channels including CHT, exhaust duct air temp off so we can see
delta T across the heads with stock and electric fans, and oil temp
and couple others.
Ran it a little and all looked well. I called Ken thhe other day
and he had done a 1-2 hr trip with stock setup and saw 325 CHT and
280 deg oil temps.
As I mentioned before, the data will be available to all in an Excel
format for those who want to see the real data points.
Ken still has to fit in the install of the electric fan once we are
happy that the "stock" data is complete and valid. For example we
will probably take fan plenum pressure to see the "pressure rise" from
ea kind of fan setup.
Ken has to fit the electric fan install within the work he must do to
make a living and who knows what lurks during the install. So far
tho, all does look really good. The data from stock is solid and temp
channels have been calibrated so we can trust the numbers.
There will be a writeup when all data has been collected and sent
to Bob Helt as he was the generous fellow to make all of this
possible.

regards,

frank parker
just north of Grand Canyon