<VV> Project update??

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 26 21:08:42 EDT 2005

Haven't heard/seem you too much on VV lately.

Ned, some might consider that a good thing!   GGG

Well,
	The latest is that the club member who is assisting me in the rebuild
(who I can't say enough good things about) has been busy for the last
several weeks assisting evacuees from Katrina, so things have been on
hold, but in comparison, my problems are flighty.  I consider myself
lucky to have any car, in any shape, in any garage, attached to any
house that isn't under twelve feet of water!

	I have the block assembled with the cam and the crank.  I cleaned the
oil galleys out with a brush (nylon) and extension that I use to clean
out the barrel of my Glock 26, lubricated with carb cleaner.  I
followed that up with a healthy dose of straight carb cleaner using the
extension tube that comes with the aerosol can.
	I lubed the mains with assembly lube.  I plastigaged the clearances on
the rod bearings which ranged from 0.001 to 0.0015.  I  took the old
(relative term as they were barely two hours old) rings out of the
cylinders and cleaned out the new cylinders from CUG with soap and
water.  After attempting to measure the piston clearances using a
feeler gage, I numbered the cylinders with a sharpie (the indented
numbers on the cylinders were unworkable) re-oiled them, and sealed
them in plastic bags and twisties.  I still need to clean the ring
grooves in the CCP premium cast pistons (from the first rebuild) before
installing the new Hastings' rings.  I'll have to wait until next
Sunday to do this as it will be the first time that we will have time
to hone out the cylinders to assure 0.002 clearance before installing
the rings and inserting the pistons in the cylinders.

	I'll use this week to take my two hour old Grant carburetors apart
(kept in plastic since the meltdown), empty the gas out of them, soak
the bowl cover gasket and the venturi cover gasket in oil and then
reassemble the carbs.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (still closer to 0 though the
engine is in fewer pieces now that the block is back together)
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, w/ 77K
(and continuing to hold)
Pictures upon request.

(Still in group red, though there is light at the end of the tunnel : l

P.S. I have fans??  Who woulda thunk it?!  GGG

Thank you for your support!

Soon, one more late sedan on the road come he__ or high water!

Stephen,

Haven't heard/seem you too much on VV lately. Busy working on the
engine or just busy? How about a post on the progress of the engine
rebuilt II? Your fans are anxious.

Ned