<VV> Thermister

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Sep 28 10:15:19 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/27/2005 8:28:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, pp2 at 6007.us
writes:

I bought  a dual Cylinder Head Temperature gauge from Westach that came with
two  thermocouples and which I plan to put one on the plug for cyl 2 and the
other for cyl 5 (which are supposed to run hotter than the others) . Was
thinking about using the factory mounts on each head untill Smitty
mentioned the effect of the temp under the head on insulation (
thermocouple cables are 4 feet long and appear to be armored - would  expect
them to be good for the range of the instrument though - 700  degrees F.
Would like to hear from people who have mounted in either  place.

I mounted the Thermocouples on the heads in the location originally used  for
the Thermistor (on the left) and the snap switch (on the right). I  found it
very easy to wire up, using a 3/8 ID ring terminal and trimmed-off
socket-head screws, instead of the 14mm plug sized ends. That location is much  more
responsive in terms of a fast indicator of temp problems, than the location
under the plug. It is right next to the exhaust valve seat. On 110 heads, it is
an easy install, since the threads are coarse into the head, and much more
likely to give-up their occupant. On the 140 heads, (and 150-180s for that
matter), the threads are 3/8 fine. Removal of the stock thermistor and switch is
"problematic" at best, and you may, indeed find yourself with broken-off parts
or "threadless" holes left over. The thermocouple wires are designed to "take
 the heat" in that application, I wouldn't worry about them. Using them under
the  plugs - I suppose in lieu of the original plug gasket - might have some
effect  on the actual heat range of those plugs. Something to consider. The
best installation I ever saw, and the most work, was done by Doug Hargrove of
Modesto, CA. Doug drilled out the centers of some small-hex bolts, commonly
used  as "header bolts", pushed the thermocouple wires through the bolt,
installed a  spring and a retainer on the wire tip and screwed it into the head. The
actual  thermocouple junction was pushed up against the end of the hole in the
 head, contacting the cylinder head metal a fraction of an inch from the
exhaust  seat portion of the head. When anything happened, Doug knew immediately.
- Seth  Emerson