<VV> LM lower windshield panel replacement - update

The Barneck Family dougbee at comcast.net
Thu Sep 29 12:22:11 EDT 2005

Here is the update to my query last week of how to replace the lower windshield panel on a LM, for those who wish to hear how it went.

I ground the spot welds and ends with a 4" grinder and removed the panel.  I next ground down the front dash area and the area that comes up underneath which is the top edge of the front toe board (would be the top of the firewall in a front engined vehicle).  these are the two areas that the lower windshield panel is spot welded to.

I laid in the new panel and it has about 1/2" - 3/4" too much curve to it.  If you lay your lower chrome piece in the groove, you will see that there is a gap of about 5/8" in the center.  If you clamp one end and push the other end forward until it seats in position, it makes the forward center edge of the replacement panel bow upward.

Here is what I did to weld it in...  I drilled 1/4" holes down both surfaces that were originally spot welded in.  I ground off the slivers around the holes so that it would lay flat against the two surfaces in the car.  I sprayed the underside of the panel and the two dash/firewall surfaces with weld through primer so that they had a rust preventative coating on them and would be there between the welded surfaces.

I next took the panel length, about 52", and divided it into four segments to I could make three cuts in the panel.  One cut right in the middle and one on each side halfway between center and the edge.  The cuts were just on the two surfaces that were to be spot welded.  I did not make any cuts on the outer surface that shows between the windshield and the front air grill panel.

I clamped one side section while pushing it as far forward against the top firewall edge (which it also needs to be welded to).  I used two 18" vice grips and one 24" vice grip.  They easily reach through the holes in the dash where the gauges, glovebox, and radio have been removed from.  I welded the first section and then clamped the second section next to it and pushed it as far forward as it would go.  I did this with each section until all four sections were welded.  This has the effect of straightening out the replacement panel to meet the car's original contour.  Each cut in the panel spreads apart just a little bit and then is welded up at the end.  I checked the curvature with the front air grill in place and the lower windshield chrome strip and the fit was beautiful.

I took some pictures and will send a narrative to Bryan Blackwell.  He said he would try and post them on the Web for others to see.  It took me about 2 1/2 hours to fit and weld the panel in.  That also included welding in new molding studs and priming the area after I was all finished.  I did not keep track of my time to remove and prep the dash area.

Hope this helps someone who is in need of doing the same work.

Doug Barneck