<VV> police harassment - again -long

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Thu Sep 29 23:36:08 EDT 2005

A while back I posted about being pulled over by a York County VA sheriff because I didn't have the state-mandated safety inspection sticker in my window.  He told me that antique cars were not exempt.  Afterwards I talked to a state police officer (they oversee the safety inspection laws) and he said antique registered cars ARE exempt and suggested that I keep a copy of the laws in my glovebox for the next time I got pulled over.  Well I got pulled over again today - by the SAME sheriff's deputy.

This time he was directing traffic in front of a school.  He left his post, drove the wrong way in the opposing lane to chase me down - for not having a sticker (which I am exempt by law from having).  I was ready for him this time - I had my printouts.  He saw them when he walked up to the car and asked if was going to read them to him.  I replied "if I have to".  I told him that I had talked to the state police and they told me I was exempt.  He said they lied to me!!!  I barked back that no they did not.  I then read the laws to him as requested.  He admitted that I was right (??). He then threatened to pull my tags and force me to tow my car home because it was unsafe in his oppoinion because I couldn't "prove" the brakes were good.  I offered to jack the car up and show him but he wanted the inspection pink slip. I told him the inspection slip doesn't prove anything and again offered to show him my brakes.  I was actually YELLING at this guy by this time.  I know it's not a good idea but I couldn't help it.  Telling my the state police were liars and then threatening to impound my plates with no probable cause was more than I could take.  I accused him of harassment and demanded another officer be brought to the scene.  I felt things were getting ugly fast and I wanted a "real" cop to be there.  Well things calmed down and me and the deputy had a reasonable little talk after that.  He said he didn't remember talking to me before and was just trying to inform me of the laws pertaining to antique vehicles.  But of course he was telling me the wrong laws until I read him the real law.  He knew the real law too, he just doesn't like people not having inspections and using their cars.  They only gray area here is the law restricts the kind of driving you can do - you aren't supposed to use antique cars for daily transportation.  It does allow you to use it for club activities, shows, repairs and "pleasure drives". Unfortunately it doesn't define "pleasure drives" anywhere.  The state police officer said because of that I could drive it pretty much how I wanted.  The sheriff's deputy thought it meant I can't even stop for a bite to eat if I'm on a pleasure drive.

I ended up not getting a ticket, which I almost wish I had got so we could settle this thing.  I don't know what to do.  At the end of it all he was shaking my hand, tellng me I was a good guy, congradulating me on informing myself on the laws and offering to take me out for coffee the next time we met.  I'm quite the diplomat I guess.  The allows me to drive my car the way I have been driving but this guy doesn't like that.  I'm tempted to get a sticker just to get this guy off my back but I'm still young enough to want to fight for principle!!!  Dammit.

BTW, he did talk to me about the Bible and God and the commandments and stuff.  It turns out we're not human beings having a spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings having a human experience.  He's very knowledgible on holy things this guy.  I got a less of it this time than the last time he pulled me over.  It still aint right though.

Sorry for the long post but you guys are the only ones who would understand my dilema.

mike