<VV> Police Harassment / Antique Plates

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Fri Sep 30 18:42:24 EDT 2005

Well Matt, my fascination with antique plates is twofold.  I get to run year of manufacture plates (ie plates that are permenently stamped with "1965" on them) which is cool, although people still ask what year my car is so I wonder why I bother.  The second reason is in VA antique plate cars don't have to get the annual safety inspection.  Why would I not want one you ask?  Because it is a big fat pain in the ass, that's why.  Now for some folks it's no big deal, they're retired, everyday is Saturday to them.  Getting an inspection and spending 3 hours waiting for it is like a night out.  I've got  a job which occupies a lot of my time and sitting in the waiting room at Western Auto for few hours is not an effecient use of my time.  My car is safe, I know because I have to work on it often enough so I get to check things out pretty regularly, but it might fail the inspection. It might fail because the turn signal indicater light in the dash is out, the outside ones work just fine though.  One of my cars fails because it has cracked fog light lenses.  Now foglights are not required lights and it will pass if I remove the lights.  Where's the safety in that?  It's arbitrary.  It doesn't matter to the inspectors - all lights must work.  VA laws allow me not to have to hassle with this nonsense with my old car, the local police should honor that law.

That's MY fascination with antique plates.

Actually, when I first got my Corvair I was planning on just registering it as a regular car - I kind of wish I had now. It's become a matter of principle now.  No bully cop is force me to do something the law says I don't have to.  Unless I just run out of energy and break down and go down the path of least resistance and get the stinkin thing inspected just to get this punk off of my back.

mike