<VV> Working on the '69 Monza

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Sun Apr 2 00:18:42 EST 2006

Hey guys and gals,
Just a few quick notes to let ya know I did a little work on the '69... I
took the kick panels out and cleaned out the front fender wells where all the
crap from the front air vent sits and rusts the lower fenders... got about 4 cups
of mush/leaves/twigs and pieces of rusting metal out of it... I knew they
were full when I first bought it, because I took it to a car was and the floor
started filling up from the vents being open... a quick push of the knob stopped
the air flow... and on wet autumn days with the vents open it smelled like a
mulch factory...
I also ran speaker wires to the rear while I had the door sills out... which
brings me to a question... I found a PURPLE wire under the passenger door
sill... and this car (late Feb. 1969) has a large square in the cardboard part of
the package shelf... dead center... was it the defroster or the rear speaker?
I thought the radio speaker wire was blue, not purple... anyone know for sure?
I also took the driver's side door panel off to study the reason for the
window to bee off track... but the window WAS on track... one of the countersunk
phillips screws had come out of the front of the track, allowing the window to
get cocked in the door... I felt around in the bottom of the door and found
the screw... easy fix!
So, now I have a pair of speakers in the rear built into a plywood shelf with
a period defroster (not hooked up because the motor & bearings needs oiling),
but I wonder what the proper switch looked like... I'll be using the purple
wire when I get around to that... and I found out my blower motor is locked up,
but with the cut down shrouds it really didn't matter (the shrouds are cut
for headers, which are not on the car now)...
I was quite busy today... and my leg is telling me to take it easy
tomorrow... I think I'll listen to it.
;-)
You guys take care, and if anyone is certain what color the rear back glass
defroster wire *should* be, let me know... or a picture of the defroster switch
would be helpful.
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg,
1963 Greenbrier 110/4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg